Nice, easy, warm, and wet

This morning I woke up a little groggy per usual Monday morning. However, this grogginess was mostly due to a feast of Pizza and Ice cream that took place post 2k yesterday evening. While completely anathema to my normal nutrition it is nice to indulge every now and then...especially after pushing yourself to a very very painful place aka last 750 of 2k yesterday. It was a decent piece all things considered. We have not exactly been ramping up to this piece, mostly lifting/x-training and doing low rate ss, so needless to say my body was not pleased with the adventure I took it on yesterday...
It's Presidents' Day today so no school!! It gives me a little more time to sleep in the morning and leisurely get my AM workout done without the pressure of preparing for class and getting to school on time. After a couple cups of coffee, I stepped outside into a warm drizzle. I welcome anything that is warm!! It has been a long cold winter. It was not two weeks ago that I was running in 5 degrees! Like I mentioned earlier, I felt pretty sluggish but after easing into it, I started to loosen up. The hills around here are epic and running around here is a spiritual experience for me. I found a new run today which took me about 62'. Just a nice easy wet run. According to my GPS its about an 8.2 mi loop. On Wed or Thurs I will go exploring for some more new runs but probably twice as long. To me, running is more meditation than it is physical training. These runs give me the oppurtunity to think clearly without distraction for a concentrated period of time. If you haven't read any Walt Whitman I would suggest it. I think a lot when I am rowing/erging as well, but it is different. I am mostly concerned with technical improvements,etc. When I am running, everything seems to become much more clear to me. What I want to do, how I am going to do it...the emotions that drive me are more tangible when I am running. That is not exclusively true, because there are certainly rows when my mind is focused in the same way, so I am hesitant to generalize too much. I cooled down on the erg and did a couple of :20 second blasters at 2k pace on a model d erg instead of c. There was definitely something different about the leg drive--I was able to keep a higher rate. This escalated into :20/:20 off, 1:00 at 6k pace/:20 off repeat for 10 min...haha. I was trying to use as little energy as possible and just spin the wheel with good technique. It was fun. We have a 6k this sunday so I was trying to find a rythym. I rowed with my eyes closed so as not to try too hard but I was suprised how fast I was going and that my HR did not go over 150 in the 10 min segment. It means nothing other than yesterday's piece felt sluggish and this rowing on the model D felt very well connected. Haha, THAT'S IT!

Comments

Popular Posts