In Sacramento for the weekend at the Southwest Junior regional championships. This is essentially the last race of the season for the kids I have been coaching this year. For the varsity guys, it will decide if they go on to Nationals or not. For the 8, top 2 boats from this regional get invited to Nationals in Oak Ridge. It has been a privilege coaching these kids recently. In the depths of my own rowing despair, these kids gave me something to look forward to each day. I have gotten the opportunity to work pretty closely with the lightweight 8 and the variety 4x. I don't take for granted how much these guys care about what they are doing. It is awesome to be able to work with kids that are so invested in it. Long Beach is lucky to have a group of guys on the varsity squad that are doing the work, acting the right way, and setting the right example for the guys coming up in the program. I sometimes struggle with how to deal with some of the unmotivated ones on the team but usually tell them the universal truth about the sport and life: " you will get out what you put in." I honestly believe that. Maybe not in the end result but definitely in the experience. The core group in the top varsity boats have a great grasp of that idea. There is no secret that they have great examples walking around the boathouse everyday to look up to: my brothers Tom and Peter, Nick Trojan, and others... The kids see every day what it looks like to train at an elite level, do work for the sake of work, and most importantly enjoy every moment of it. Last sunday, I ran practice with only the 8 and the 4x. There was no one else on the water and we did 6 x 500 m race rehearsal. I was moved watching them row. I assured them that they would not need to do anything different on race day than what they were practicing on that flat, warm sunday morning--they just need to do what they have been doing every day. 

I was talking to a friend from Newport at the course today. She is a former lightweight elite rower who made a couple national teams, called it quits, and got married. The wedding was a blast. She is enjoying her life. She asked me what my plans are now. She saw us training all year and saw probably closer than anyone what type of work we were doing because she worked very close to the weight room at the NAC! I told her that I wasn't sure, Brian might be retiring, etc... I told her it was tough for me to say this year was a failure just because we failed to make the Olympic Team. Yes, that was the goal--no doubt. I think this idea that crept into my head that making the Olympic Team THIS YEAR was the only thing, probably was planted in my head by Brian. Nothing against Brian. It's just the reason behind our partnership was to be the Olympic light 2x. BUT, aside from an unfortunate semi final at Trials, this year has been a blast. I row because I love it. I need to remind myself of that. I love the sport and I train extremely hard because I enjoy it and I want to see just how good I can be. I want to be able do things in a single that no one has ever done before( Yes, there are a lot of funny things i could do to accomplish that goal!) BUT THAT IS THE IDEA! and I love that. I train because maybe some kid will see me training or rowing and say, " wow. I want to do that one day." That was me as a kid and its the best. It's one of the strongest emotions I have. The feeling that I was mean't to scull better than anyone else. Watching Jamie Koven row at Henley when my family was living there is something I will always remember. I still have his autograph. 

The point is, if you can feel like you fit in your cumulative preparation into your last race then you have succeeded. This is why I am not done. 

I am excited to see the guys do that this weekend. It will be fun to watch. 


So I brought my boat up here and will be doing a series of 2k's on the buoyed course following the World Cup racing schedule for the Lightweight single. So Fri AM, Sat AM, Sun AM. 

This morning's piece was a very strong headwind. After a collision in the warm up with a junior sculling ( wow my back hurts!) I lined up for the race. I was able to bring the splits down throughout the race which was encouraging. Hopefully tomorrow I can make some changes technically and push a little bit harder in  the second 500. Flat water would be nice also...

This is the beginning of Dave's onslaught on me. He wants to push my limits whenever possible. Nothing easy...It's going to be a fun summer!

About to go back to the course for some technique. Then back to the hotel to make sure Juniors aren't making out with each other! 




Comments

Popular Posts