Yeah, it's nice to sweat...but man, it is really sticky here. It has been 95-100 degrees here in Cincy for the last week or so. At some point, the heat starts the wear on you. I have been really trying to stay out of the sun and manage my energy levels well, but its been tough. Early morning rows have been very enjoyable in the comfortable dawn temperature but as the sun comes up it turns brutal. A very humid heat. Not great to train in but good practice for how it usually is in Princeton.
As my real taper begins this week leading into next Monday's racing, I am having trouble keeping my mind off of racing. I guess it is a good thing to be excited to race but I need to find a way to switch it off. I only care about being on fire for the races, right now I feel like I need to chill. Since 2x Trials, I have been interested with the idea that races are won on THE DAY. Yes, I know, preparation is king, and anyone who knows me well is probably laughing and calling me a hypocrite right now. But seriously, races are a performance. I am not discounting the amount of preparation it takes to create that performance but what I am saying is that it is possible to have great preparation and poor performance. Poor representation of your preparation. Since Trials, I have trained with a chip on my shoulder--something to prove everyday. This is not the first time I have trained with an edge like this. The difference in the last couple months has been that each time I have had a good practice, set of pieces, 2k, etc...I have just gotten more and more angry. I haven't felt like, " Oh yeah, nice piece, now that I have done that I will be fine at Trials." Instead, I have been angry that even though I did that great piece on my own in practice it DOESN'T CHANGE ANYTHING. I still lost Trials. I still came up short. Great, you just did a personal best for 1k on the water?...too bad you didn't do that when it actually counted. Yes, the preparation is important, but the only time you can change your circumstances is when the opportunity arises. I can row well all day and push my limits in practice but that is only to better prepare myself for when the real opportunity comes. Then, you're on the clock. People are keeping score. Cameras are rolling. It's showtime! I don't want to make it sound like the only thing I care about is recognition or medals, because I don't. I am simply recognizing a misalignment of purpose of my rowing effort. The best part about this sport is lining up next to 5 other guys( or in the case of Trials, 3) and putting on a show. I like to think about rowing in relation to live music performances sometimes. All the parts of the band, combining to more than the sum of their parts to make good music. Just playing because it's what they love to do and because it sounds really freaking good. Live performances are surely the best because they add in some adrenaline, pressure, emotion, and crowd noise that push the band to new heights, new sounds, and one hell of a time. The pleasure is mutual between the crowd and the performers. Anyways, I know that's pretty far out there, but its fun to think about. I am excited to put on a good show next week in Princeton.
As my real taper begins this week leading into next Monday's racing, I am having trouble keeping my mind off of racing. I guess it is a good thing to be excited to race but I need to find a way to switch it off. I only care about being on fire for the races, right now I feel like I need to chill. Since 2x Trials, I have been interested with the idea that races are won on THE DAY. Yes, I know, preparation is king, and anyone who knows me well is probably laughing and calling me a hypocrite right now. But seriously, races are a performance. I am not discounting the amount of preparation it takes to create that performance but what I am saying is that it is possible to have great preparation and poor performance. Poor representation of your preparation. Since Trials, I have trained with a chip on my shoulder--something to prove everyday. This is not the first time I have trained with an edge like this. The difference in the last couple months has been that each time I have had a good practice, set of pieces, 2k, etc...I have just gotten more and more angry. I haven't felt like, " Oh yeah, nice piece, now that I have done that I will be fine at Trials." Instead, I have been angry that even though I did that great piece on my own in practice it DOESN'T CHANGE ANYTHING. I still lost Trials. I still came up short. Great, you just did a personal best for 1k on the water?...too bad you didn't do that when it actually counted. Yes, the preparation is important, but the only time you can change your circumstances is when the opportunity arises. I can row well all day and push my limits in practice but that is only to better prepare myself for when the real opportunity comes. Then, you're on the clock. People are keeping score. Cameras are rolling. It's showtime! I don't want to make it sound like the only thing I care about is recognition or medals, because I don't. I am simply recognizing a misalignment of purpose of my rowing effort. The best part about this sport is lining up next to 5 other guys( or in the case of Trials, 3) and putting on a show. I like to think about rowing in relation to live music performances sometimes. All the parts of the band, combining to more than the sum of their parts to make good music. Just playing because it's what they love to do and because it sounds really freaking good. Live performances are surely the best because they add in some adrenaline, pressure, emotion, and crowd noise that push the band to new heights, new sounds, and one hell of a time. The pleasure is mutual between the crowd and the performers. Anyways, I know that's pretty far out there, but its fun to think about. I am excited to put on a good show next week in Princeton.
Comments
Post a Comment