Yoga this afternoon for the first time in a couple weeks. Our teacher, Margaret, talked a lot about how Yoga helps spread awareness throughout your body. I thought that was a great way of describing the purpose and effects of Yoga.
After a yoga session, you just feel more aware of even the smallest and seemingly insignificant parts of your body. Although, it has been my experience, at least with rowing, that these small and underrated body parts are the difference between being pretty good and as good as you can possibly be. Hip flexors, achilles, lower stomach, lumbar spine, obliques, lats...believe it or not these things win races. Yes you need strong quads, arms, and back. But good luck training those things as hard as you need to and repeatedly recovering from that training without the aforementioned less important smaller body parts. Good luck transferring your strong leg drive to the handle if you have a weak lower abdomen. It goes on and on. Bottom line is, it all matters. And well, yoga is just fun anyways. So, I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here but it seems like the more important argument here is that everyone knows yoga makes them feel good. Everyone knows that eating well makes them feel good, very few actually do it. The difference between knowledge and wisdom. Wisdom involves action. I am not sure if there will ever be a day where I always make the wise decision. Almost certainly not. But, I do know when I am in Craftsbury I make that decision a higher percentage of the time. So, yoga is good. I don't have to do yoga, but I choose to do yoga because it makes me more aware of my body. Judging by this post, it might make me increasingly aware of more than just my body. I have always wondered, at the end of a yoga session when you are relaxing on your back, how long do you think you could lay there if no one told you to leave? I think I could be there for a couple hours. It's the best.
Other training updates and notable podium finishes this week:
Craftsbury winter triathalon( 1st)
Craftsbury 5k ski series( 2nd) 16:53
Parker Pie Trivia Night (1st)
After a yoga session, you just feel more aware of even the smallest and seemingly insignificant parts of your body. Although, it has been my experience, at least with rowing, that these small and underrated body parts are the difference between being pretty good and as good as you can possibly be. Hip flexors, achilles, lower stomach, lumbar spine, obliques, lats...believe it or not these things win races. Yes you need strong quads, arms, and back. But good luck training those things as hard as you need to and repeatedly recovering from that training without the aforementioned less important smaller body parts. Good luck transferring your strong leg drive to the handle if you have a weak lower abdomen. It goes on and on. Bottom line is, it all matters. And well, yoga is just fun anyways. So, I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here but it seems like the more important argument here is that everyone knows yoga makes them feel good. Everyone knows that eating well makes them feel good, very few actually do it. The difference between knowledge and wisdom. Wisdom involves action. I am not sure if there will ever be a day where I always make the wise decision. Almost certainly not. But, I do know when I am in Craftsbury I make that decision a higher percentage of the time. So, yoga is good. I don't have to do yoga, but I choose to do yoga because it makes me more aware of my body. Judging by this post, it might make me increasingly aware of more than just my body. I have always wondered, at the end of a yoga session when you are relaxing on your back, how long do you think you could lay there if no one told you to leave? I think I could be there for a couple hours. It's the best.
Other training updates and notable podium finishes this week:
Craftsbury winter triathalon( 1st)
Craftsbury 5k ski series( 2nd) 16:53
Parker Pie Trivia Night (1st)
Comments
Post a Comment