Supercomp: 6 x 500m
This morning marked the beginning of a four workout pre-race mini cycle called Super-compensation. It basically is just a ton of race pace rowing all crunched together in a short period of time about a week prior to a race. The theory is to really shock the system and then rest before the race. I wish I knew the science behind it, but I am assured by Dan that " it just works!" Haha, I believe him. I remember doing a very similar stretch of workouts in the pair with Eli in 2009 under Larry and feeling extremely ready to race.
This mornings' task was a repeat of last week's 6 x 500/ 1 min-2 min rest. Last week, I was an idiot during this workout. I didn't get the "race rehearsal" message before the workout. Race rehearsal means that you approach each 500 as if it was part of a 2k, not as a singular 500m piece. Therefore, the first few pieces should not feel too difficult, but as the workout goes on it gets increasingly tough to hold the pace. So for a workout like this, the goal is to pick your goal pace for 2k and try to stick it for all six pieces. If you are going faster than that pace, chill out, save your energy, because you will need it! Last week, I went 1.37 on the first piece( under M1x world record pace and the fastest I've ever gone by 2 seconds) then had A LOT of trouble finishing the workout! Today, I was set on being internal, knowing my speed, and just sticking it, regardless of what anyone else was doing. My guess was that if I did that the result would take care of itself.
My goal for a flat water 2k, or what I think I would need to do to be internationally competitive, is 1.43.0 per 500, or 6:52. Flat water meaning no tailwind, no conditions. So thats what I shot for.
Dan's results and comments are below. A couple notable items:
1. Ben won the first two pieces. I have mixed feelings about that but mainly very positive. Ben has been struggling so far this spring but he is making huge improvements every time he gets on the water. He is an extremely talented sculler and it is only a matter of time until he is one of the best scullers in the country. He has a buttload of power. That being said, he did exactly what I did last week. He disregarded any pacing and just went for the win on the first two! Haha, how can you blame him!? Honestly it was great to see him do that. It was a good mental exercise for me because I have gotten very used to leading people off the start. In the first two pieces, I was up at 250, then as I shifted to a base rate, he moved right through! Being forced to stick to my speed and my rhythm despite being down was useful.
2. This workout was night and day compared to last week's. Just readjusting a little bit and exerting myself better over the six pieces gave me a lot of confidence. The sixth piece was evidence that I still had a lot in the tank and no one else did.
3. It's awesome to have power. Piece 1 off the start, my GPS recorded a max pace of 2:49/ km. That is 1.24.5 per 500. Haha. No wonder I was pretty far up after 10 strokes. I have no idea what type of speed people will have at NSR, but I am excited to see what happens when I do that. My first 250 was 48.3 seconds or 1.36 pace. I was a length up at 250 on Ben. Then I shifted to rowing 1.44's at base. Anyways, its a blast being able to produce that off the line. But who knows, maybe the GPS is broken.
4. Warming up with a rope on the stern is good shit.
1 start Tailwind 3-5 mph
Ben 1.40.2
John 1.40.8
Steve 1.41.3
Charlie 1.41.8
Hugh 1.42.3
2 start Tailwind 3-5 mph
Ben 1.40.5
Steve 1.41.7
John 1.42.1
Charlie 1.43.0
Hugh 1.43.4
3 start Headwind 3-5 mph
John 1.46.6
Steve 1.47.8
Hugh 1.48.4
Ben 1.51.8
Charlie 1.52.0
4 start Headwind 3-5 mph
John 1.44.6
Steve 1.44.6
Hugh 1.46.4
Ben 1.47.4
Chalie 1.50.1
5 Base tailwind 5 mph
John 1.44.0
Steve 1.45.9
Hugh 1.46. 7
Ben 1.48.7
Charlie 1.54.2
6 Base Headwind 5 mph
John 1.44.8
Steve 1.50.1
Hugh 1.50.8
Ben 1.50.8
Charlie 1.52.4
Total averages:
John 1.43.8( 6:55.2)
Steve 1.45.4(7:01.2)
Hugh 1.46. 4( 7:05.6)
Ben 1.46.5( 7.06.0)
Charlie 1.48.9 (7:15.6)
Ben 1.40.2
John 1.40.8
Steve 1.41.3
Charlie 1.41.8
Hugh 1.42.3
2 start Tailwind 3-5 mph
Ben 1.40.5
Steve 1.41.7
John 1.42.1
Charlie 1.43.0
Hugh 1.43.4
3 start Headwind 3-5 mph
John 1.46.6
Steve 1.47.8
Hugh 1.48.4
Ben 1.51.8
Charlie 1.52.0
4 start Headwind 3-5 mph
John 1.44.6
Steve 1.44.6
Hugh 1.46.4
Ben 1.47.4
Chalie 1.50.1
5 Base tailwind 5 mph
John 1.44.0
Steve 1.45.9
Hugh 1.46. 7
Ben 1.48.7
Charlie 1.54.2
6 Base Headwind 5 mph
John 1.44.8
Steve 1.50.1
Hugh 1.50.8
Ben 1.50.8
Charlie 1.52.4
Total averages:
John 1.43.8( 6:55.2)
Steve 1.45.4(7:01.2)
Hugh 1.46. 4( 7:05.6)
Ben 1.46.5( 7.06.0)
Charlie 1.48.9 (7:15.6)
Also to be noted, Ben and I had a great row in the 2x yesterday. We have gone out every afternoon for the last week or so but this row was in a different class than the others. We switched seats, so I was stroking. We did a bunch of drills, body over pause, delayed feather, early square, etc. We alternated drills and SS each 500. There was a very tangible rhythm and it was repeatable. We also spoke in Austrailian accents for an hour, so that helped. On our last lap, we rowed easy at 1.52-1.53, then gave it a little press and rowed the last 500 at 1.46-1.47 @ 20-21 spm in flat conditions. We were certainly pressing a little too hard towards the end, but it was good rowing. When we were approaching the dock, we did a couple NZL 10's. Basically max press and ugly rowing. We tried to get 1.19 on the speed coach but only hit 1.20. Next time! I am definitely excited to keep polishing this boat. We have a good time out on the water, keeping it loose and fun. Makes training a hell of lot more enjoyable.
1000's and 1500's tomorrow. More to come...
Comments
Post a Comment