WC 2 Recap

Its been about 24 hrs since the end of my racing yesterday at Eton Dorney, so I have decompressed a little bit but not fully. Right now, I have mixed feelings about my racing, but generally I am just excited to race again.

It was amazing to go up against the big names of the M1x and see where I stacked up. Although my feeling after the B final was that I did not put my best racing out there on display. It was pretty nasty out there yesterday, with a huge cross tailwind and waves. I did not handle it well. But when it came down to it, I didn't feel like I was able to finish these races off the way I should be able to.

I think that is more of a physiological issue than a technical one. I don't think I ever really got my aerobic system initiated when we arrived from the US last week. My starting speed was fine, but my repeatability seemed to be suffering, something that is not usually a problem for me. I am capable of going out quick, but then holding the pace, and that really was an issue for me in these races. My muscular endurance was not where I would like it to be. Meaning that at the end of the races I was missing the turnover and quickness I needed to drop the pace.

Part of my difficulties in the second thousand was that I rowed without rate, pace, or time for the Semi and Final! Right before the AB semi, my speed coach went missing from my boat. Ha, really!?  I understand that is not part of my body, but it is an indicator of pacing and turnover that helps me stay centered and comfortable on the course. For me, rate is important. I am just flat out faster at 35-36 than I am at 33-34. Believe it or not, I raced the Semi and B final without rate, pace, or time. When it comes down to it, you just need to race, and those things don't really matter. But, I am very good at using those indicators to my advantage and they are like my instruments as a pilot. I can see how the change in numbers are affecting my position on the field and I try to continue those trends. So without those markers, I would take off, feel good, then I would feel like I am in no man's land, unsure of if I was turning it over quick enough or repeating my speed. Sure, you can use the other boats as an indicator, and well, I tried to do that. But thats a dangerous game,as well. To be honest, none of it was good! I was upset that any of this was an issue. So I am excited to get the right equipment in the boat, and get back to what I know.

I am hopping on the train to Henley this morning and hopefully meeting my boat there. I will train there for a week before racing starts next week. I have been trying not to look ahead very much but the Diamond Challenge Sculls is stacked this year. It's going to be awesome. Its as competitive a field as the World Cup with the Olympic champion Drysdale returning to the field. There are 11 scullers of international standard. Makes the trip worth it!




Comments

Popular Posts