Pretty fun race yesterday morning with Ben. We executed it almost exactly how we wanted to. We knew they had a really strong base speed. So we got to work, rowed within ourselves for 1500m, and just moved the boat smoothly for 5 min. We were in a very similar position at 1500 compared to NSR 2, when they began to move away from us. This time, when the question was asked, we had the answer. A very definitive answer. Ben said, " Shark week", and that was it. We started dropping the pace with a little more squeeze and we started moving back into them. I felt very fresh and knew that we had a lot left in the tank. Rate kept coming up, 35, 37, splits kept dropping 1.35, 1.34...we pulled even. We were just getting started. I have watched and idolized the NZL m2x all year, admiring their amazing sprinting capability. Here we were, in the same situation, and we both knew exactly what to do. Once we saw the red buoys, the rate went straight to 42, splits to 1.30, and we were gone. It really was great. A super fun way to race. Overseas in the 1x, I was killing myself to stay with the leaders thru the 1k and then dying at the end of the race. It felt wonderful to pace the race intelligently.

Ben and I are a very new combination and this race was really important for us. We knew we had potential, but until you step up to the plate and lay it down, potential is all it is. A lot of people have been questioning my decision to row in the 2x, but I hope it is somewhat clear that there is speed in this combination. This race was by no means a peak performance for us, we have many things to improve upon, but it showed that we are moving in the right direction. I think this race was especially important for Ben's confidence. He was pretty nervous before the race and he really rose to occasion and brought his A game. He showed me that he is a primetime racer and can perform when it counts. That is a trait that will bode well in international racing. I was really proud of the way he raced.

Anyways, excited to get back to work. We have a week until leaving for Korea. I think more importantly than picking up speed in a week, we will be looking to solidify what we are doing and making sure it can be transported to Korea effectively. The danger is not knowing why you are fast. You need to know why so that when you change venue, boat, country, etc, you have a totem to bring you back to center. So we will be nailing down our rhythm, rig, race strategy, etc.




Comments

Popular Posts