Had a pretty relaxing sunday morning. Went to breakfast with friend and mentor, Eldrich Carr, and his little 11 month old son. Eldrich was a 23 year old recent graduate of BU when we started teaching and coaching at my high school my junior year. We became pretty close and he definitely is like a big brother to me. He was starter for the BU soccer team and history buff. When I came back to CCDS to teach right after graduating from Trinity, there's no doubt I was just trying to be like Eldrich. Of course, it was difficult to be as big of a hit with the girls students as he was, but I came close. I worked under him in the History department and he was great in showing me how it was done. I was trying to balance teaching, coaching, and training at a high level; he was invaluable in helping me through some tough spots. He was a spinning image of the smart, funny, relatable teacher that I wanted to be.
So, it was great to see him and catch up over breakfast after about a year. After telling him about the last year or so, he seemed touched by the idea of me actually doing some of the things that I told him were my dreams when I was teaching a couple years ago. He always understood why I wanted to train so much. He got the concept. But there's obviously a different between the idea of it and making it happen. It was awesome to talk to someone who is so unselfishly interested in how I am doing and gives me such genuine unconditional support. It's those types of relationships that make me want to be sure to never give anything less than my very best. I owe it to people like Eldrich. People who helped me/help me just because. Completely selfless. Meanwhile, on the surface, my pursuit is extremely selfish. Sitting down with him this morning reminded me that its not just about me. Nice to get some perspective over pancakes and eggs. His son, Bear, ate a full sausage patty.
I got new glasses today. I can see significantly better. Not sure I am ready to go out in public yet.
So, it was great to see him and catch up over breakfast after about a year. After telling him about the last year or so, he seemed touched by the idea of me actually doing some of the things that I told him were my dreams when I was teaching a couple years ago. He always understood why I wanted to train so much. He got the concept. But there's obviously a different between the idea of it and making it happen. It was awesome to talk to someone who is so unselfishly interested in how I am doing and gives me such genuine unconditional support. It's those types of relationships that make me want to be sure to never give anything less than my very best. I owe it to people like Eldrich. People who helped me/help me just because. Completely selfless. Meanwhile, on the surface, my pursuit is extremely selfish. Sitting down with him this morning reminded me that its not just about me. Nice to get some perspective over pancakes and eggs. His son, Bear, ate a full sausage patty.
I got new glasses today. I can see significantly better. Not sure I am ready to go out in public yet.
Comments
Post a Comment