It's already Tuesday afternoon? Oh boy. Feeling pretty tired from a busy and super fun weekend down in Boston. We had practice this morning here in VT. Did a pretty relaxed 80 min row in the single just getting the lungs open again and the focus back.

As far as the racing goes this weekend, I felt pretty good about it but by no means was that a great piece for me. It was definitely the best I have steered on the Charles but because of other crews not yielding it was a pretty messy piece. I went fast when I could but a lot of the time the water was just so dirty. Bows 3 and 5, who I was passing, were not doing a great job of getting out of the way for Drysdale and myself. The only thing I know is that at least Drysdale had to deal with the same stuff as I did, and he beat me, so there ya go. That being said, I think he was going fast and I was too. He was not in typical Mahe HOCR form, he was looking pretty fit, and I was watching him intent on keeping the margin. I thought I had done it when I crossed the line but he squeezed a couple more seconds out on that last stretch into the headwind. My regret of the race is not having a really crazy finishing minute or so, I had a solid piece going, but I left a little speed out there on the last turn, catching a little digger with a few strokes to go. That could have been  the difference between being third and fifth, but who knows. It was not bad by any means, definitely a solid piece, but I think I could have been faster and it would have been sweet to come out a little ahead of the Olympic Champ.

Regardless, the Head of the Charles is an awesome time in general. It's amazing to have so many friends and competitors in one place. The party afterwards is maybe the best one in the world. I really enjoyed meeting new people and catching up with old friends. I am kind of sad its over.

So its back to training...which I also enjoy. We have three weeks of rowing left this year give or take a few days. It's definitely getting cold up here so the days are numbered.

An interesting addition to our plan before speed orders is that we will be doing a 2k test next week with the mask on. It will be interesting to see that data and hopefully build our winter training program based on what the test shoes needs improving. Numbers are great, they keep you honest. BUT, I don't think this test is going to tell me anything I don't already know.






Comments

Popular Posts