Happy to report a 1st place finish in the brothers battle yesterday at the Cincinnati 10k Turkey Trot. I went out in typical fashion, as fast as I could, with the leaders and HOPEFULLY got on the paper. Haven't checked yet. The downside about sprinting ahead with the elite runners is that after 200 meters or so, the onslaught begins of people passing me. When there are 12,000 runners behind you, it feels like you are running away from a stampede. By the end of the 6.2 mile race, 69 people had passed me, and I crossed the line in 70th place, 7th in the 25-29 age group, in a time of 36:33( corrected from 36.58) which translates to 5.52 per mile. I was pleased with how my body felt during the race and I think it bodes well for the skiing season ahead. Its encouraging considering I went faster than I ever went as a lightweight; being lighter is a huge advantage in running. A couple miles into the race I found a nice groove with the two fastest females and worked off of them! It was a pleasure racing with these girls. I am sure they were annoyed by my heavy footsteps and heavy breathing, but boy, I appreciated their soft steps and even pacing! They weren't too bad on the eyes either; however, I did not mention that to them when I congratulated them after the race.
After the race, I saw a tweet from Megan Kalmoe that made me glad I just raced hard on Thankgiving morning. She said, " When your thinking about taking the day off today, remember that there is no Thanksgiving in GB, Austrailia, Germany, France, Norway, etc..."
Yep. No doubt. I woke up this morning with that in mind. There are many things I think I learned and brought home with me from racing in Europe this summer for a while, but so far the most tangible thing is that I can visualize who I am trying to beat. I can feel what it was like to be slower in the third 500 and not being fast enough to make the A final. I feel it on the erg, when I'm running, when I'm doing anything really. It is this idea of one day having the tools to beat those guys which gets me out of bed in the morning. And knowing that someone else thousands of miles away is getting out of bed with the same thought is what makes this all pretty fun.
That being said, time to erg.
After the race, I saw a tweet from Megan Kalmoe that made me glad I just raced hard on Thankgiving morning. She said, " When your thinking about taking the day off today, remember that there is no Thanksgiving in GB, Austrailia, Germany, France, Norway, etc..."
Yep. No doubt. I woke up this morning with that in mind. There are many things I think I learned and brought home with me from racing in Europe this summer for a while, but so far the most tangible thing is that I can visualize who I am trying to beat. I can feel what it was like to be slower in the third 500 and not being fast enough to make the A final. I feel it on the erg, when I'm running, when I'm doing anything really. It is this idea of one day having the tools to beat those guys which gets me out of bed in the morning. And knowing that someone else thousands of miles away is getting out of bed with the same thought is what makes this all pretty fun.
That being said, time to erg.
Comments
Post a Comment