These days, I would say my chief concern is keeping the fire going. I am ,of course , referring to our wood stove that heats the entire house. It's pretty darn cold up here right now. Yesterday we were running on the trails with ski poles on about an inch of snow. Temperature: 16 degrees. Believe it or not, this morning we will go on the water. I think its slightly warmer this morning. Still, it's time to start thinking about waxing skis rather than rigging boats. Since we have been back, I have been pretty quiet on the exercising front. Tuesday was completely OFF. After a 6k erg, 4k water piece, and 4 x 1500 m in 4x's on Monday, I was feeling a little run down. Going into winter training, I want to make sure I am feeling rested, healthy, and not carrying any residual fatigue.
Yesterday I rowed in doubles for both rows and actually was surprised about how each one felt. I rowed with Steve in the morning and we had a nice 22k swing with some decent stretches of easy speed. Definitely didn't expect that from Steve. But to be honest, we haven't really given that boat a chance ever. In the afternoon I rowed with my brother Peter. I expected this row to be a confirmation of what we both thought to be a pretty slick 2x. Not sure whether it was just because it was the second row or what, but the boat definitely was not moving simply and easily. We were going pretty good speeds but it just didn't feel as lively and easy as it has in the past we have rowed together. My sense is that it was just the circumstances. Regardless, I am excited to be going out in doubles and seeing whats good. Overall, it seems like all four of us can row with each other pretty well. It's funny to think that yesterday I rowed in two fast doubles, but neither one was with the guy who I rowed at the World Championships with, Ben. I think that speaks highly of how each guy is capable of moving boats right now.
After not lifting last week, I was itching to do some deadlifts yesterday. I ended up lifting 325 lbs for 3 x 10 reps. This is about 40 lbs more than I was doing last winter. Definitely excited to keep loading up the bar. Still am always thinking about Kjetil Borch every time I deadlift. 390 lbs x 7 reps is what he did last year.
Comments
Post a Comment