NYC
Rowed 75 min on the erg in my friend's apartment this morning and am on train right now leaving Grand Central. This is the beginning the trek back up to the woods of the northeast kingdom. I have been gone from the Center for the past two weeks. While I have been intent( and I think successful) on continuing to train during this break in a manner consistent with my goals this year, It has been refreshing to step away from somewhat monastic and singular focus of day to day life in Craftsbury. Of course , I love that way of life and think the environment is largely the reason people are getting fast on our team right now. However, every now and then it seems important to impose a hiatus, step away from the bubble, and be a (somewhat) normal person for a little bit. Training the way we do is a selfish pursuit, there's no doubt about it. It's easy to take complete ownership of any success you have been fortunate enough to have and take for granted the gifts, support, and unwavering friendship of those that you maybe don't see every day( I.e. Friends and family) who helped get you there. As George Pocock famously said, " I can build a boat, but only god can build trees." That has been what the last couple weeks has been about for me. To Get in touch with the trees again. That may not have been my intention initially, it may have been more to gain perspective and to come back in the new year with a clarity of purpose and renewed faith in the "why" of my daily efforts. Because to reach my potential as an athlete, there's no getting around that there will always be a time when I am asked very difficult questions. In the moment, there's no time to think of an answer. It has to have already been answered. It needed to have been signed, sealed, and delivered a long time ago. So what is my answer? Since Monday evening I have been in New York City with my two best friends. When I am with these guys the word that always comes to mind is ENERGY. They have tremendous energy. Honestly, one of the strongest driving forces for me in reaching for my potential as an athlete, and pushing through the barriers of my preconceived limits is rooted in my relationship with these guys. I strive to pursue my potential in same way that I KNOW these guys would if they were rowing and the way I know they do in their work. In their heart of hearts, maybe they would love to be only rowing, so If I am not doing everything I can to get better, I am a complete asshole. They have chosen to pursue their careers as entrepreneurs( and actually
make money) which requires they bring the sa me type of preparation, determination, resiliency, and passion to their work; if I am not doing the same in my profession, I am wasting my time, cheating them, myself, and many others. I try to be thoughtful, prepared, smart, and relentless in my training and racing , brimming with energy and humor because I know that's exactly how they would approach it. Being in New York City for the past 6 days reminded me to be continue to adopt a professional approach, but never forget to just bring the energy. After all, that's what my friends would do. Now it's back home for two months before getting back on the water again in Clemson, SC in March. Lots of miles to be put in, weights to be lifted, food to be eaten, and dishes to be done. It's been a wonderful holiday. Energy begets energy.
make money) which requires they bring the sa me type of preparation, determination, resiliency, and passion to their work; if I am not doing the same in my profession, I am wasting my time, cheating them, myself, and many others. I try to be thoughtful, prepared, smart, and relentless in my training and racing , brimming with energy and humor because I know that's exactly how they would approach it. Being in New York City for the past 6 days reminded me to be continue to adopt a professional approach, but never forget to just bring the energy. After all, that's what my friends would do. Now it's back home for two months before getting back on the water again in Clemson, SC in March. Lots of miles to be put in, weights to be lifted, food to be eaten, and dishes to be done. It's been a wonderful holiday. Energy begets energy.
John,
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to say good luck with your training and thanks for posting. I've enjoyed getting to read about your thoughts and Craftsbury. I rowed at a small New England program and always admired your brothers at Trinity. The picture of them at Henley saluting each other after their victory stands out.
Patrick
Hi Patrick,
DeleteI really appreciate you reading. I agree with you that the "salute" is quite a shot. There's no question that moment made me want to row. Thanks for following, it means a lot to me.
John