We are smack dab in the middle of the winter doldrums, but thank god, the WINTER OLYMPICS are here! Our team has three girls competing in xc skiing over in Sochi and the rest of us here at home could not be more pumped for them. In the thick of winter when you are searching for ways to keep things sharp and purposeful, having teammates achieving the things that we want to achieve is incredibly inspiring. It shows what is possible. Those three girls have been committed to this dream since they were kids skiing around up here after school. Remarkably, they show that very same youthful exuberance today as they race at the highest level in sports. 

Last night, Steve organized an awesome Opening Ceremony party for the community and there was a wonderful turnout, including a local news crew. I felt bad to not make it and may have caught a little heat for not showing up. There was a lot going on at the Center during the day which mean't the only time I could workout in the fitness room was after 5 pm. I just could not justify not training so I could be at the party. I celebrated those three being in the Olympics by training for the Olympics. 

Yesterday morning, I went out early on the trails and skied 23k. It was a gorgeous morning to be out there. In the evening, I hopped on the erg for 3 x 40 min and accumulated 32 k. Overall, I put in some good distance yesterday. At 9 pm, I was under the covers with the lights out. 

10.5 hours later I woke up, made a smoothie, coffee, and oatmeal with flaxseed. After I felt like I was fueled up, I strapped on the skis and headed out again. I skied for about 150 min and 28k total, mostly with Peter and Steve. 

The afternoon is now dwindling and I am searching for energy to go and lift a few weights. I am dangerously content sitting on the couch next to the fire right now. The fact of the matter is that it is very cold outside and very warm inside. My survival instincts are telling me that it is a good idea to stay right where I am. However, my rowing survival instincts are telling me that I need to go pick up some very heavy things if I am going to survive the spring and summer. 

OK, just finished lifting.  







Comments

Popular Posts