Yesterday was my golden birthday. I didn't know what that was until yesterday, but honestly, there could be something to it because it was a particularly enjoyable day. 26 years old on the 26th. Crossing into the second five hundred of my life I can't help but feel very lucky to be surrounded by such great friends and family who genuinely care about me and want to see me happy. That became clear to me yesterday as it felt like the world conspired for a day to make my life a little better. Thank you everyone, it was the best.
Yesterday morning, we were in doubles for 8 x 1 min/ 4 min rest at 32-36 spm max. I was supposed to row with Peter, but his ribs have been a little sore, so Steve came off the bench and filled in the bow seat. 1 min is not a whole lot of time, but when each stroke is the maximum singular amount of energy you can produce in a stroke, it adds up quickly. Steve and I squared off against two lightweight doubles of Josh Koneizncy/ Austin Meyer and Kyle Lafferty/Jake Georgeson. Steve and I launched a little late and had an abbreviated warm-up because we were not expecting to row together, so unfortunately I don't think we got quite up to speed until piece 2. But right off the start we were able to lay down a long, dynamic rhythm that got us a half length or so advantage over the lightweights. On Piece 2, I think we both felt energized and ready to go. In a blustery cross tail, we did well did let the boat work for us on the recovery and to keep the energy in the water on the drive. For most of the next 7 pieces,, we were able to crack open water. Save the last piece. Not to mention any names but lets just say rate caps are more sacred to some than others. I definitely felt like Steve and I were producing some good speed and on the same page technically throughout the workout which was encouraging. Our faster pieces were 1.26-27 pace at and the slower ones 1.28-9 . Still early but this row was a step in the right direction. I also personally felt stronger and more capable in this workout than the last couple of weeks. I am hoping that means I am getting some of my speed back that I seemed to have lost in and around the ski marathon season. For the past four weeks or so I have felt like a sports car that has six gears but cannot shift into sixth. My guess is that this friday we will be trying out more combinations and probably over longer distance.
This morning, I was in the single doing 20 min UT1 pieces @ 22 spm side by side the Lightweight men's pair. The pair is definitely(and should be) a little faster than me, but they are a good match for me to try and keep up with. They are good level headed guys that enjoy a training partner as much as I do, so it works out well. We stayed pretty level for the entire workout. It was informative for me to be side by side them trying to keep my boat speed as constant as possible with no lulls. I was mostly working on getting body prep on the dead slide and timing the drop of the blades well with the leg drive, getting equal hang on feet and hands.
When I came off the water, I was greeted by a nice woman from USADA who asked me to pee in a cup. I really had to go so it couldn't have been more convenient!
Definitely interested to see how the guys from Potomac will fare down at the World Cup this weekend in Sydney. They are going up against the silver and bronze medalists from last years Worlds, the Lithuanians and Italians. It's really cool that the Potomac guys seized the opportunity to go race down there, in many ways, I wish we had gone, but Dan didn't think it made sense training wise--I trust him. But, I'd be lying if I said I am not a little upset to be sitting here watching a USA M2x entry race at the World Cup. Just by showing up they have already achieved my goal for this year of making an A final. Maybe it is a good reminder though. Its a good reminder to how it feels to be left off and left at home to spectate. It is a good reminder to prepare better than anyone. I wish those guys luck, but not too much.
Yesterday morning, we were in doubles for 8 x 1 min/ 4 min rest at 32-36 spm max. I was supposed to row with Peter, but his ribs have been a little sore, so Steve came off the bench and filled in the bow seat. 1 min is not a whole lot of time, but when each stroke is the maximum singular amount of energy you can produce in a stroke, it adds up quickly. Steve and I squared off against two lightweight doubles of Josh Koneizncy/ Austin Meyer and Kyle Lafferty/Jake Georgeson. Steve and I launched a little late and had an abbreviated warm-up because we were not expecting to row together, so unfortunately I don't think we got quite up to speed until piece 2. But right off the start we were able to lay down a long, dynamic rhythm that got us a half length or so advantage over the lightweights. On Piece 2, I think we both felt energized and ready to go. In a blustery cross tail, we did well did let the boat work for us on the recovery and to keep the energy in the water on the drive. For most of the next 7 pieces,, we were able to crack open water. Save the last piece. Not to mention any names but lets just say rate caps are more sacred to some than others. I definitely felt like Steve and I were producing some good speed and on the same page technically throughout the workout which was encouraging. Our faster pieces were 1.26-27 pace at and the slower ones 1.28-9 . Still early but this row was a step in the right direction. I also personally felt stronger and more capable in this workout than the last couple of weeks. I am hoping that means I am getting some of my speed back that I seemed to have lost in and around the ski marathon season. For the past four weeks or so I have felt like a sports car that has six gears but cannot shift into sixth. My guess is that this friday we will be trying out more combinations and probably over longer distance.
This morning, I was in the single doing 20 min UT1 pieces @ 22 spm side by side the Lightweight men's pair. The pair is definitely(and should be) a little faster than me, but they are a good match for me to try and keep up with. They are good level headed guys that enjoy a training partner as much as I do, so it works out well. We stayed pretty level for the entire workout. It was informative for me to be side by side them trying to keep my boat speed as constant as possible with no lulls. I was mostly working on getting body prep on the dead slide and timing the drop of the blades well with the leg drive, getting equal hang on feet and hands.
When I came off the water, I was greeted by a nice woman from USADA who asked me to pee in a cup. I really had to go so it couldn't have been more convenient!
Definitely interested to see how the guys from Potomac will fare down at the World Cup this weekend in Sydney. They are going up against the silver and bronze medalists from last years Worlds, the Lithuanians and Italians. It's really cool that the Potomac guys seized the opportunity to go race down there, in many ways, I wish we had gone, but Dan didn't think it made sense training wise--I trust him. But, I'd be lying if I said I am not a little upset to be sitting here watching a USA M2x entry race at the World Cup. Just by showing up they have already achieved my goal for this year of making an A final. Maybe it is a good reminder though. Its a good reminder to how it feels to be left off and left at home to spectate. It is a good reminder to prepare better than anyone. I wish those guys luck, but not too much.
Comments
Post a Comment