Another clip of yesterday morning's row in the 4x.
4x May 8
The lineup is based off the two doubles we are racing at NSR 2. Ben and I are in the stern and Steve and Peter in the bow. So far both of these doubles have shown really good speed and we were eager to see how they moved together in the same boat. I think we were all pleasantly surprised that it felt very natural and the boat seemed to have easy speed from the first stroke. When training under Dave Gleeson in California in 2012, he always said that the technique he was teaching us was intended for a 4x. I didn't realize what that really meant because I have not rowed many quads. But from stroke one, it made sense to me. It's like when you drive a car for the first time. You spend 16 years riding in the backseat, being driven everywhere, conceptually understanding how to drive, but not yet realizing how to drive. The realization part comes with experience. Not until you are in the driver's seat holding the wheel can you have that realization. Yesterday, I felt the light easy drop of the blade, the slow motion top quarter of the slide, and the constant acceleration with the speed of the boat that makes a 4x sing. I had taken a million strokes like that, but only in the 4x did it feel right. The unique part was that the other three guys and I are on the same page and did not have a question about how we were going to try and move the boat yesterday. It was deliberate and precise while also being athletic and free flowing. Peter was in the bow, looking over the crew, using his 2012 Olympic 4x experience to shape the boat to his liking . I am not sure how the next couple weeks will play out, a lot will depend on the results of NSR, but it felt like we had a special unit out on the water yesterday.
4x May 8
The lineup is based off the two doubles we are racing at NSR 2. Ben and I are in the stern and Steve and Peter in the bow. So far both of these doubles have shown really good speed and we were eager to see how they moved together in the same boat. I think we were all pleasantly surprised that it felt very natural and the boat seemed to have easy speed from the first stroke. When training under Dave Gleeson in California in 2012, he always said that the technique he was teaching us was intended for a 4x. I didn't realize what that really meant because I have not rowed many quads. But from stroke one, it made sense to me. It's like when you drive a car for the first time. You spend 16 years riding in the backseat, being driven everywhere, conceptually understanding how to drive, but not yet realizing how to drive. The realization part comes with experience. Not until you are in the driver's seat holding the wheel can you have that realization. Yesterday, I felt the light easy drop of the blade, the slow motion top quarter of the slide, and the constant acceleration with the speed of the boat that makes a 4x sing. I had taken a million strokes like that, but only in the 4x did it feel right. The unique part was that the other three guys and I are on the same page and did not have a question about how we were going to try and move the boat yesterday. It was deliberate and precise while also being athletic and free flowing. Peter was in the bow, looking over the crew, using his 2012 Olympic 4x experience to shape the boat to his liking . I am not sure how the next couple weeks will play out, a lot will depend on the results of NSR, but it felt like we had a special unit out on the water yesterday.
Comments
Post a Comment