It's really starting to hit me that we don't have to go to Trials again this year. We will be paddling along in the 4x or in small boats, and it will hit me, that we don't have to peak again before Worlds, we can just PREPARE. It really is wonderful. It is probably because Trials begin next week in Princeton. I remember how tough it was last year to come back from Lucerne and have three weeks to prepare for Trials. I came back, hopped in the 2x with Ben, and we really had to meld quickly. There was little talk of World Champs, because we had no choice but to prepare like Trials was THE race. After Trials, there is an awkward amount of time from a training standpoint to then prepare for Worlds. It has been refreshing this year coming back from Europe and being able to really address weaknesses and train with purpose. The last couple weeks have been mostly about building from the base again, since we had been racing for a few weeks. We have been putting in some decent mileage in the quad and grooving in the good stuff. Although it feels like we have been in the 4x awhile, I reminded from time to time, that in the grand scheme of things, we really have not put in lot of miles together. I am continually impressed by the changes we are making in the boat and the technical adaptability of this crew. I think we are getting closer and closer to repeating the stroke that we want to be taking in Amsterdam. There is nothing major that is changing, but its just getting a little better. We have been rowing feet out a lot over the last few practices which seems to tie the drive together for us. Along with the quad, I have been staying in touch with the single and, at times, the erg, just to make sure I am trending faster. I have enjoyed having the freedom over the last couple weeks to put in some extra miles on the erg and the water. I have really enjoyed being in a team boat so far this year, but I think its key that we all have space to do the things we like doing, so that it doesn't get stale. Steve likes to lift weights, I like going for long runs and rows, Peter likes to some of both/ nap, and Ben mostly likes to nap. No matter what it is, its important to honor that time. We have struck a pretty good balance recently. That being said, next week we are heading down to Princeton to do a few days of training with the M8+ and M4-. So, there won't be as much time for shenanigans. Plenty of time for napping though, I think. We got invited to do some race prep pieces with them before heading out to Amsterdam the following week. As far as I know, we will be doing some :40 pieces, a few 1500's, and a few 1ks spread out over Wed to Sat. To say the least, we are all giddy about the chance to race those dudes. Obviously, they are two of the fastest boats in the world and its an honor to be a worthy sparring partner for them. When we get back to VT, we will have less than a week until we leave on Fri Aug 15 for Amsterdam. Our first race is on the 24th. Like I mentioned earlier, we have all been happy to train and do the things we need to do to improve, without going to Trials, but I'm intrigued by how my burning racing instinct is still ever present . I could race right now and that seems to be the case for all four of us. I feel like I am in a band that just played a big concert, and the audience really liked it, we got good reviews, but we just KNOW that we could have played a better show. So, our next show is in a few weeks on a much bigger stage. Excited to get it right.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments
Post a Comment